Monday, October 14, 2013

Imperial Guard POV: Blood Angels vs Imperial Guard


I must say that I was very surprised by my Imperial Guard this time around. The difference between an Imperial Guard army where you use Orders all game versus one where you forget to use them until turn 3 is huge. Now with those orders I did forget that I could go to ground to get the cover save bonus and then use the "Get Back in the Fight" order to shot normally, but that would have only been effective on 2 occasions and then I only lost 3 or so guard from the squad. I also saw vast improvement in my Leman Russ since I remembered that it was a Heavy Vehicle, in this game it made a excellent mobile gun platform. With a stroke of luck at the beginning of the game, I had actually taken out most of what the Blood Angels had taken to deal with it. So it was a bit of a nuisance for Scott the rest of the game. Unfortunately the accuracy of the Leman Russ went down hill a bit near the end of the game and while it did a great job at first it just couldn't deal with targets on the other side of the table.

The game went a full 7 turns and if it had ended on turn 5 I would have walked away with the win. Since it went to turn 7 I didn't really have to staying power on the right side of the board. This was mostly due to the lack of infantry I had on hand. While the list I had wasn't what I would have liked to have taken it was better than I gave it credit so I will no longer call it a sucky list and just say it was a challenging list.

Since Friday I did have a run of luck in finding enough of my old Last Chancers to build out a Veteran Squad which gives me the men to take a minimum Platoon. My wife was also nice enough to buy me a Cadian Command Squad which gets me enough stuff to fill out a couple special weapon roles as well as a Master of Ordnance. With this I can now sit down and see about a my infantry heavy list and gives me a little more in the way of options.


No comments:

Post a Comment