Friday, October 4, 2013


Painting of my Blood Angels

Now I am no expert at painting and I have painted miniatures before but that was a lot time ago. I do however still think I am somewhat of a novice at it but I feel am learning fairly well through trial and error. A few things that I have discovered over the last few weeks have made my painting easier and how much better my figures are starting to look (at least to me).

1.       Priming is a big key to me when starting my figs. With the new primers that are now out it has made my army a little easier to paint since my base coat can be the primer itself. If I want a glossy look to it I would just add a few layers of glaze on the fig. This can also darken the tone of the color as well if you use a Medium with the glaze.

2.       Thickness of the paint. If you notice like I have that after some time your paint will thicken. When this happens the figures look like paint was just clumped on them and tends to give it a too thick look. I actually painted one fig not really paying attention to the thickness of the paint and by the time I was done it just didn’t look right. The next fig I added some water to the paint and it went on much smoother with a much better look.

3.       My main issue with my painting…..LET IT DRY!! I tend to rush when I paint and when I don’t wait long enough it shows on the figs especially if you’re glazing. Glaze will look very muddy if you don’t wait long enough between each coat. So as a friend of mine said paint one fig work on another then go back to your original fig after a while this way it will be nice and dry.

4.       Dry brushing is your friend!! My first few figs were painted without doing any dry brushing. I started a new squad and decided to dry brush as much as possible even the base coat. Now it did take me a little longer to paint this squad but they came out looking pretty clean with no clumpy sections at all. Any groove areas still showed the primer (black) which gave much more detail to the fig.

While most of what I have listed above (if not all) is pretty basic information for a well-rounded painter but not everyone knows the basics. I am not the type to go out and watch a bunch of videos or buy books on how to paint. I would rather go with trial and error personally. Now I did see a painted army that I just had to ask the owner about and he was very helpful and forthcoming on how he did it. But that is another story all together…….Until my next painting post! 

 
If anyone has any pointers they would like to share please feel free to comment them. Thank you

I will have pictures up of my figs as soon as I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment